Reigning two-time Ballon d’Or winner Alexia Putellas was dropped from Spain’s starting line-up for Sunday’s Women’s World Cup final against an unchanged England in Sydney.
The Barcelona attacking midfielder was replaced by teenage club colleague Salma Paralluelo in the only change from the side which beat Sweden 2-1 in the semifinals.
Putellas’ tournament has never really got going as she struggles to regain form and fitness after a serious knee injury.
England coach Sarina Wiegman resisted the temptation to recall Chelsea attacker Lauren James after her two-game ban ended.
James was named on the bench as Wiegman named unchanged side from the one that defeated co-host Australia 3-1 in the semifinals.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Defending champion Saurashtra stunned by unfancied Tripura
- Ranji Trophy LIVE score, Round 3 Day 2 update: Jagadeesan smashes 200 vs Railways; Rana scores 250 as Haryana declares at 508/3; Goa 321 all out vs Karnataka
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Snehal-Darshan partnership helps Goa post respectable total on Day 1 after slow start
- “They did not play free-flowing style”: Menezes breaks down Japan’s tactics to outplay India in Olympic Qualifiers
- NBA roundup: Defending champion Nuggets hand Celtics first home loss of season