Argentina faces an uphill task to qualify for the knockouts of the FIFA World Cup as it heads into a must-win clash against Mexico on Saturday.
HIGHLIGHTS: Argentina vs Mexico
Lionel Messi’s men lost to Saudi Arabia 1-2 in the opening game on Tuesday has left it bottom of the table in Group C.
After Poland’s 2-0 win over Saudi Arabia earlier in the day, we take a look at the round of 16 scenarios for Argentina with two matches left.
Group C standings:
What happens if Argentina beats Mexico?
If Argentina beats Mexico, La Albiceleste will remain in contention to reach the knockouts. A 1-0 win over Mexico will take Argentina to second behind Poland and a win in its final game against Poland see it through to the last 16.
If Argentina draws against Poland, then a draw between Saudi Arabia and Mexico will guarantee Argentina’s passage. Both Argentina and Saudi will have the same number of points but the former will edge ahead because of a superior goal difference.
What happens if Argentina draws with Mexico?
If Argentina plays out a draw with Mexico, it will remain bottom of the table with 1 point to its name. In this case, an Argentina win over Poland with a margin of two goals or more will take Messi’s men into the knockouts. provided Mexico and Saudi Arabia play out a draw.
What happens if Argentina loses to Mexico?
If Argentina loses to Mexico it will be out of contention for the knockouts as both Poland and Mexico will move to four points. Argentina can only reach three points with a win in its final game.
- The drama of Maxwell’s 201: Prevents hat-trick, survives LBW scare, dropped chance on way to one of ODI World Cup’s greatest centuries
- ENG vs NED Live Score, World Cup 2023: England vs Netherlands predicted playing XI; Toss at 1:30 PM IST
- ENG vs NED Dream11 Prediction, World Cup 2023: England vs Netherlands predicted XI, squads, fantasy tips
- Asian Archery C’Ships: Jyothi Surekha, Parneet Kaur ensure all Indian women’s compound final
- Shaji Prabhakaran sacked as AIFF Secretary General