Atletico Madrid said Koke picked up a thigh injury in Saturday’s 1-0 win at Athletic Bilbao, leaving the Spain midfielder just weeks to recover before the World Cup in Qatar.
Koke had started physiotherapy and rehabilitation sessions, Atletico said on Monday without providing a timeline for his return, but reports in Spanish media said he would be out for three weeks.
The 30-year-old, who has 67 caps, was substituted in the 81st minute of Atletico’s win.
Spain, which is in Group E at the World Cup with Germany, Costa Rica and Japan, has yet to announce its final squad for the tournament. It begins its group campaign on Nov. 23 against Costa Rica.
- Rohit Sharma becomes first batter to hit 50 sixes in ODI World Cup history during IND vs NZ semifinal
- Virat Kohli hits 600 runs in World Cup 2023, third Indian batter to record feat
- IND vs NZ Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Semifinal: Shubman Gill races to fifty; India 114/1 (14) vs New Zealand
- ‘Extensive work’ to find new host for 2026 Commonwealth Games: officials
- India’s highest PowerPlay scores in World Cup 2023 after IND vs NZ