The French Champions Trophy, the traditional curtain-raiser to the Ligue 1 season, will this year be played in the Thai capital, Bangkok, on August 5, the French league (LFP) announced on Thursday.
The last two editions have been staged in Israel -- with Paris Saint-Germain beating Nantes in Tel Aviv last July -- but the move to Thailand comes with the LFP keen to further open up to the Asian market.
Over the last decade, the match has also been staged three times in China.
This year’s game will take place at the Rajamangala national stadium, a week before the 2023/24 Ligue 1 season gets under way.
The match pits the Ligue 1 champion against the winner of the French Cup and has been won by PSG in nine of the last 10 years.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023, June 1 schedule: Swiatek, Rybakina play in second round
- Why is the England vs Ireland Lord’s Test a four-day game?
- From non-league to Premier League: How the Hatters of Luton Town scripted a comeback
- Three football training centres come up in Bhubaneswar
- Triple jumpers Unnikrishnan, Aboobacker win bronze at international meets