Bayer Leverkusen missed the chance to go top of the Bundesliga when Eintracht Frankfurt came back from a goal down to win 2-1 thanks to an Amin Younes strike and an Edmond Tapsoba own goal on Saturday as the league returned after a brief Christmas break.
Nadiem Amiri had given Leverkusen the lead with an outrageous piece of individual skill, taking a touch to control the ball before deftly back-heeling it between the legs of keeper Kevin Trapp in the ninth minute.
Younes fired Frankfurt level in the 22nd minute and it took the lead nine minutes into the second half when Japanese midfielder Daichi Kamada rifled the ball into the box and Tapsoba turned it into his own net.
The defeat leaves Leverkusen on 28 points after 14 games, two behind leader Bayern Munich, who has played one game less and takes on second-from-bottom Mainz on Sunday. Frankfurt moves up to eighth on 20 points.
Union Berlin kept itself in the top four when Taiwo Awoniyi scored one goal and made the other in a 2-0 win at Werder Bremen, who had a goal on the stroke of halftime ruled out by the video assistant referee for offside.
Freiburg netted three first-half goals as it climbed into the top half of the table with a convincing 3-1 win over Hoffenheim, and Augsburg edged out FC Cologne with an Iago goal making the difference in a 1-0 away victory.
A goal by Breel Embolo in the 58th minute gave Borussia Moenchengladbach a narrow 1-0 away to Arminia Bielefeld in a game that it dominated in terms of goal-scoring chances without being able to add to its tally.
Hertha Berlin takes on Schalke 04 and VfB Stuttgart meets RB Leipzig in Saturday's late games, while Borussia Dortmund hosts Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- Indian sports news wrap, December 2: Rethin, Aishi win ITF junior titles; Elavenil clinches shooting nationals gold
- ISL 2023-24 points table LIVE: Mohun Bagan remains third after fifth win, Kerala Blasters on top
- Mohun Bagan beats Hyderabad FC highlights, HFC 0-2 MBSG ISL 2023-24, Hamill and Asish score for the Mariners
- U Mumba vs UP Yoddhas LIVE Score, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: UP inflicts all out on Mumba to reduce lead: UM 28-26 UPY
- Vaishali, India’s third female Grandmaster, is making all the right moves