It was a brilliant day for Indian football as the national youth teams pulled off memorable away wins on a terrific Sunday. First, the Indian U-16 national team defeated reigning Asian U-16 champion Iraq by a solitary goal at the WAFF U-16 Championship in Amman, Jordan. Bhuvenesh headed in the winner in added time.
The day got better as an inspired U-20 national team stunned Argentina's U-20 team 2-1 in its last match at the COTIF Cup in Spain. Argentina, in fact, is the most successful U-20 team in World Cup history.
WATCH | India U-20 stuns Argentina
An error between the posts by Leonardo Diaz gave India the lead in only the fourth minute of the game. Argentina's No. 1 flapped at a Deepak Tangri header from a corner kick into his own net.
Floyd Pinto's boys were dealt a blow six minutes into the second half when Aniket Jadhav was given his marching orders.
However, Anwar Ali ensured India doubled its lead in the 68th minute. The centre-back stepped up to smash a free-kick onto the post before it crept in past the goal line.
India's goal was breached four minutes later when Alan Marinelli scored past Prabhsukhan Gill. But the Indian boys avoided further damage and held on resolutely till the end to script a famous win.
- Vlahovic strikes twice as Juventus humbles Lazio 3-1
- Asian Games Athletes’ Committee poll: Saina set to win uncontested
- World Wrestling Championships: India’s Abhimanyu remains in medal race despite quarterfinal defeat
- Premier League: Liverpool goes top with 3-1 win at Wolves
- Al Raed vs Al Nassr LIVE Score: ALR 0-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League updates, Saayoud’s shot off-target