The Indian men’s football team drew with Myanmar 1-1 in its final group stage match in the Asian Games 2022 in Hangzhou and qualified for the round of 16 in the tournament after 13 years.
Sunil Chhetri, India’s captain and its highest goalscorer of all time, was the most important player on the pitch for the Blue Tigers in the three matches, having scored two goals. His goals, against Bangladesh - one that proved to be the winner - and Myanmar, saw Igor Stimac side progress into the knockouts as the runner-up from its group.
China, which remained unbeaten in Group A, finished on top with seven points from three matches while Myanmar also qualified as one of the four best third-ranked teams.
Group A points table:
Who will India play in the round of 16 at the Asian Games 2023?
India will face Saudi Arabia from Group B in the round of 16, which beat Vietnam 3-1 in a match played simultaneously. The loss also saw the South-east Asian country get eliminated as it finished as the fifth third-ranked team.
Group B points table:
When will India play in the round of 16 at the Asian Games 2023?
India will play Saudi Arabia in the round of 16 at the Asian Games on September 28 at the Huanglong Sports Centre Stadium in Hangzhou, China. The match is scheduled for a 5:00 pm (IST) kick-off.
- Pakistan aims to sharpen pace and spin ahead of South African challenge in Chennai
- Australia vs Netherlands Highlights, World Cup 2023: Warner, Maxwell hit centuries; Zampa picks four as AUS wins by 309 runs
- Europa League 2023-24: Polish champions lay on cheap trains for fans ahead of ‘home’ match against Sporting CP
- Bosnia FA sanctioned by UEFA over crowd trouble
- World Cup 2023: England, Sri Lanka aim to keep semifinal hopes alive in Chinnaswamy showdown