A Romelu Lukaku penalty was enough to give Inter Milan a 1-0 win against 10-man Napoli at San Siro on Wednesday and move the host within a point of Serie A leader AC Milan.
Just one point and one place separated the two sides before kick-off, and the game was decided when David Ospina conceded a spot kick midway through the second half, which Lukaku converted.
The two captains made an impact in contrasting fashions, as Napoli skipper Lorenzo Insigne was sent off for dissent following the penalty award and Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic made some decisive interventions to keep his side in front.
ALSO READ | Barcelona proves too strong for Real Sociedad
Yet Napoli pushed hard for an equaliser with 10 men and Andrea Petagna was denied a late leveller when his shot rattled the post in stoppage time.
The victory leaves Inter in second place, one point behind leader Milan, while Napoli is fourth with 23 points.
Five wins in a row
Pressure was mounting on Inter coach Antonio Conte after his side’s disappointing early exit from the Champions League, where it finished bottom of its group, but he has now overseen a run of five wins in a row in Serie A.
Napoli lost star striker Dries Mertens during a cagey first half, as the Belgian was worryingly forced off in tears with an ankle injury.
ALSO READ | Bayern sinks Wolfsburg
The game exploded into life in the final 20 minutes. Handanovic instinctively blocked a clever Insigne flick before Inter rushed up the other end to win the decisive penalty, as Ospina caught the foot of Inter wing-back Matteo Darmian.
Insigne was furious about the decision and saw red for his reaction, but Napoli finished the stronger as Handanovic produced superb saves on Matteo Politano and Giovanni Di Lorenzo before the woodwork came to Inters rescue in the dying minutes.
- IND vs AUS Live Score 2nd ODI: Play to resume at 8:35 PM IST in Indore after rain interruption; Australia’s revised target 317 in 33 overs
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally on September 24
- Asian Games 2023: Japan stops India’s giant-killing run journey in Volleyball with a win at Hangzhou 2022
- Asian Games 2023: India women’s football team loses to Thailand, exits tournament
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 highlights: India wins three silvers, two bronze medals; men’s football team into round of 16; Nikhat Zareen reaches pre-quarterfinals