Two-time Indian Super League champions ATK on Tuesday denied speculations that it is in an advanced stage of reaching an agreement with 2014 World Cup winner Bastian Schweinsteiger of Germany.
ATK’s denial came after reports in a vernacular daily claimed that the former Bayern Munich star midfielder may be seen in ATK colours in the upcoming season of ISL, with new head coach Steve Coppell keen to rope in the German.
“At this point of time, we at ATK have not contacted any player. We have no clue about the development,” an ATK spokesperson said on Tuesday. “We are not aware whether Coppell has reached out to him (Schweinsteiger). There’s no truth to this,” he added.
The report claimed that Coppell had proposed Schweinsteiger as one of the possible recruits to the team management and the Kolkata franchise is in an advanced discussion with him.
ATK had a disappointing last season, finishing ninth in the 10-team table with 16 points from 18 games. In the Super Cup, ATK made it to the round-of-16 where it suffered defeat at the hands of FC Goa.
- Czech Republic, Slovenia seal places in Billie Jean King Cup semifinals
- ‘Exciting times ahead’ says Afghanistan coach Jonathan Trott after inspiring World Cup run
- England vs Pakistan Dream 11 prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: ENG v PAK predicted XI, fantasy team, squads
- England vs Pakistan LIVE streaming info, ICC World Cup 2023: When and where to watch ENG v PAK CWC match today?
- ENG vs PAK head-to-head record in ODIs, World Cup 2023: England vs Pakistan overall stats; most runs and wickets