Mumbai City on Thursday announced that its head coach Jorge Costa will be leaving the club. The club finished fifth in the Indian Super League 2019-20 standings missing out on a play-off spot.
The club has decided not to renew the Portuguese's contract which will be expiring shortly. Assistant coaches Marco Leite and Pedro Miguel Correia will also be leaving the club.
Indranil Das Blah, CEO of Mumbai City FC said: "We’d like to thank Jorge sincerely for his immense contribution to the club during his two seasons with us, including a memorable run to the play-offs in his first season. Everyone at the club wishes Jorge well for the future."
A Champions League winner with FC Porto, Costa signed for Mumbai City FC in August 2018 and guided the club to playoff where it lost 5-2 to FC Goa. The Islanders looked set to seal a playoff spot in 2019-20 season, but losses to FC Goa and playoff spot contender Chennaiyin FC at the end of the league stage saw them finish fifth in the table.
- WTC 2023-25 Points Table Update: India moves to second spot in standings after record win vs England in 3rd Test
- World Team Table Tennis Championship: Indian women pip Hungary 3-2
- Argentina Open : Alcaraz admits far from best in Buenos Aires semifinals exit
- IND vs ENG, 3rd Test: India registers its biggest win in Tests
- Ranji Trophy Highlights, Round 7 Day 3 updates: Vyshak, Sharath score 100 for Karnataka; Bengal, HP register innings wins