Former Italy captain and the national team's technical coach Daniele De Rossi has been hospitalised after testing positive for COVID-19 during last month's World Cup qualifiers, Sky Italy reported on Friday.
The former AS Roma midfielder, who is fourth on Italy's all-time appearance list having played 117 times for the Azzurri, tested positive along with three other staff and several players in the national camp during the international break.
Sky reported De Rossi, 37, is under observation at the Roman Institute for Infectious Diseases as a precaution.
The players who tested positive are Federico Bernardeschi, Leonardo Bonucci, Alessio Cragno, Vincenzo Grifo, Alessandro Florenzi, Marco Verratti, Matteo Pessina and Salvatore Sirigu.
De Rossi, who ended his 18-year playing career in January 2020 after a short stint with Argentine side Boca Juniors, joined Italy coach Roberto Mancini's staff last month.
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023 Highlights: Surender’s Super 10 hands UP Yoddhas 48-32 win over Telugu Titans after Haryana Steelers beats Bengaluru Bulls 38-32
- IND vs SA Dream11 prediction, 1st T20I: Playing XI info, squads, fantasy team for India vs South Africa match
- IND vs SA, 1st T20I: A test of depth as India, South Africa kick off World Cup journey
- IPL Auction: Is it time to switch to the draft system?
- Next Gen: Raksha Kandasamy, smashing her way to the top