Barcelona saw its hopes of winning La Liga extinguished as it was beaten 2-1 at home by Celta Vigo on Sunday.
Barca was dominant in the first half and deservedly took the lead through Lionel Messi after 27 minutes in what could be the Argentine's final game at the Camp Nou given his unresolved contractual situation.
Messi expertly headed Sergio Busquet's precise cross past Ivan Villar to make it 30 league goals for the season on 27 minutes.
MATCH BLOG |
"We hope that won't be his last game here at the Camp Nou, but it's a decision he needs to make," defender Jordi Alba said.
"We were really good in the first half, they didn't really create much and took their one chance when they got it.
"We had the game under control but in the second half just lost our heads a bit. They play really good football, they made it difficult for us and their second goal is unlucky for us."
Indeed, Celta equalised against the run of play 11 minutes later as Santi Mina fired in from the edge of the box following a pacey counter-attack to stun the host.
Defender Ronald Araujo went close with a header after the restart as Barca tried in vain to retake the lead.
However, it found itself up against it when Clement Lenglet was dismissed with six minutes to play and ultimately paid the price for the Frenchman's rash decision making.
With just one minute of normal time left, Mina netted his second of the game to condemn the Catalans to at best a third-placed finish in Ronald Koeman's first season in charge.
Barca are third on 76 points, four behind Real Madrid in second with one game remaining and two ahead of Sevilla in fourth.
Latest on Sportstar
- Roland Garros 2023: Svitolina returns to French Open quarterfinals by downing Kasatkina
- Monfils and Svitolina - a support system for each other on and off the court
- It’s better to stay a bit underdone than overdone: Cummins on lack of game time ahead of WTC final
- In England, you never feel in but you will have an intuition when to attack: Rohit Sharma
- NBA Finals: Heat’s Cody Zeller upgraded to probable for Game 2