Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema twice combined with team mate Toni Kroos to continue his insatiable scoring run as his side earned a 3-1 win away to Celta Vigo on Saturday to move to within three points of La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid.
Benzema curled a shot into the bottom corner to give Real the lead in the 20th minute after being released by a fine piece of play from Kroos, who danced past a defender before taking out three more with a pass into the feet of his team mate.
Kroos was again involved for the second goal arriving on the half-hour mark, winning the ball back on the edge of the box and allowing Benzema to dribble across the box and score his eighth goal in six matches in all competitions.
Santi Mina headed Celta back into the game in the 40th minute following a free kick and the hosts improved in the second half while Real ran out of steam.
It took a strong save from keeper Thibaut Courtois to prevent Iago Aspas levelling in the second period. Aspas later saw a free kick deflected off the post.
But Real found a third goal deep in stoppage time when Benzema crowned his exceptional display by sending in a cross to Marco Asensio, who walked the ball over the line.
Real moved up to second in the standings and closed the gap with Atletico to three points, although the leaders host Alaves on Sunday. Celta are 11th on 34.
- IPL 2024 Retention Day Live Updates: Full list of retained, released, traded players; CSK releases eight players
- CSK full list of players retained, released and traded ahead of IPL 2024 auction
- China Masters 2023 final LIVE Score: Satwik-Chirag duo loses 19-21, 21-18, 19-21 against World No. 1 Liang-Wang
- Satwik-Chirag duo loses to Liang-Wang in China Masters 2023 final
- Djokovic: 'I take responsibility' for Serbia defeat