The La Liga game between Granada and Athletic Bilbao was suspended on Sunday after a fan died in the stands.
Athletic goalkeeper Unai Simon rushed to get the referee’s attention in the 15th minute after Granada fans told him about the problem with one of the supporters, who reportedly went into cardiac arrest.
The match continued for about five minutes when it was finally stopped again as doctors continued to work on the fan. Team doctors left their benches to try to help.
Players stayed on the field until about the 40th minute before going into the locker rooms.
The referee eventually called off the game, and the league confirmed the death of the fan. It did not immediately give the cause of death. It also did not give any detail about the fan’s identity.
Granada fans chanted Simon’s name because he alerted the referee to the situation.
Athletic was winning the match 1-0 after a goal by Inaki Williams in the sixth minute.
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Asha picks three wickets in one over to derail Warriorz’ chase
- East Bengal midfielder Saul Crespo returns to Kolkata for rehab
- Indian sports wrap, February 24
- ISL 2023-24: Substitute Sivasakthi hero with the late winner as Bengaluru FC edges past Hyderabad
- India loses to Australia in shootout of FIH Men’s Pro League 2023-24