Real Madrid is set to sign its former striker Mariano Diaz, who appears to have had a change of heart over a switch from Lyon to Sevilla.
Mariano left Madrid for Lyon last year in a reported €8million deal and the Ligue 1 side's president Jean-Michel Aulas denied reports the transfer included a buy-back option last November.
The striker made a great start to life in France, scoring 18 league goals in 2017-18, but he has not found the net since April.
Madrid, meanwhile, is yet to sign a replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portugal captain joined Juventus in a deal worth €112million.
Sevilla president Jose Castro says that his club was set to land Mariano, but will now miss out on the 25-year-old. "Real Madrid have a buy option they are going to exercise," Castro told reporters.
"But, we still have no communication from the player, who has told us that he wanted to play with Sevilla again and again. He has the ability to say one thing or another."
"We negotiated with Lyon and then they have 48 hours to decide. Real Madrid did it. Annoyed with Real Madrid? Not at all, this is football. We have to keep working."
"We have done what we had to do, in good faith, with an agent and a player who tells us on videos and audios that he only wants to play in Sevilla."
Reports have indicated Madrid could allow Borja Mayoral to join Sevilla if it completes a deal for Mariano, but Castro is unimpressed with the compromise option ahead of Friday's LaLiga transfer deadline.
"He is one of the players we have dealt with. There is nothing to be happy about here. Another striker is coming," Castro said.
- RCBW vs GGW WPL 2024 Live Score Updates: Renuka strikes after RCB opts to bowl vs Gujarat, Live Streaming Info
- Don’t take the game lightly and never consider yourself bigger than the game: Chandrakant Pandit
- Bermuda international Hemp and former Kiwi all-rounder Adams to coach Bangladesh men’s cricket team
- I want to be a world champion some day: Anmol Kharb after Asian Badminton Team Championships triumph
- Shreyas Iyer included in Mumbai squad for Ranji Trophy semifinals