Real Betis captain Joaquin signed a new one-year deal, the Seville-based club announced on Monday, which ensured he will be playing La Liga football into his 40s.
Joaquin, who turns 40 in July, made his debut for his boyhood club Betis at 19 in 2000 before joining Valencia six years later. He also had spells with Malaga and Fiorentina before returning in 2015.
ALSO READ |
He is second on the all-time list of appearances in Spain's top flight having played 579 games, behind former Barcelona goalkeeper Andoni Zubizarreta (622), and will be the only player from the 2002 World Cup still playing in La Liga next season.
Far from playing a minor role as a club ambassador, the winger was an integral part of the team for manager Manuel Pellegrini last term, making 30 appearances in all competitions as Betis finished sixth to secure Europa League football.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE score, pre-quarterfinals updates: Kerala 383/4 vs Maharashtra; Gujarat 283/9 vs Bengal
- WPL 2024 Auction LIVE Updates: 165 players to go under hammer as teams look to complete squad; When, where to watch Women’s Premier League auction?
- PKL Season 10: Sagar Rathee settling into Tamil Thalaivas leadership role with fitness as top priority
- Rinku Singh: Extra pace and bounce of SA pitches will need some more practice
- Volleyball Club World Championship: Halkbank, Sicoma vie for final spot after contrasting pool stage journeys