Real Madrid has announced Spain's Julen Lopetegui will succeed Zinedine Zidane as head coach after the World Cup.
Zidane surprisingly stepped down after presiding over a third successive Champions League triumph, citing his doubts about the team being able to continue such a remarkable run as the main reason for leaving.
Mauricio Pochettino of Tottenham quickly emerged as a favourite, though his recent contract renewal seemed to make such a move improbable.
Speculation soon went quiet about Madrid's search as attentions were turned towards the World Cup, but it has made something of a surprise announcement on Tuesday in confirming the appointment of Lopetegui upon the completion of Spain's campaign in Russia.
Lopetegui, who came through the Madrid ranks as a player, has signed a three-year deal at the club after impressing in charge of the Spain senior side.
- ISL 10 LIVE SCORE, Jamshedpur FC vs East Bengal: JFC 0-1 EBFC, Nandha outs East Bengal ahead, Indian Super League updates
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Andhra faces Madhya Pradesh in quarterfinals, eyes redemption for last season’s loss
- Alonso leads call for more pre-season F1 testing
- PKL Playoffs fixtures: Pro Kabaddi League 2023/24 Eliminator, Semifinals full schedule
- Indian sports wrap, February 22