Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said he is keen to retain the services of Bernardo Silva, but added that the Portuguese international “likes Barcelona a lot”.
Silva has been linked with a move to the Spanish side in recent weeks and Guardiola left the door open for the midfielder’s potential departure from the Premier League champion.
Silva is one of those players who has blossomed under Guardiola. He has 169 appearances for City and has been on the score sheet 30 times. He’s also considered as one of the best playmakers, with an assist tally of 29 in his five-season stint with Manchester City.
“I’m no one to tell Barca to forget about (signing) Bernardo,” Guardiola told reporters on Wednesday, speaking after Barcelona and City drew a friendly game 3-3 at Camp Nou.
“We want him to stay with us, but I don’t want anyone who’s not happy. The first thing would be for the clubs to come to an agreement, but there has been no offer for him in these last two years.
“I don’t want him to go, he’s a superlative player and a great person ... And there are only seven or eight days left (in the window) and we would have to turn to the transfer market. I want him to stay. That said, it is true Bernardo likes Barcelona a lot.”
Barcelona manager Xavi, who was sitting besides Guardiola in the news conference, said any move would “depend on City”.
City, who is second in the league standings, hosts ninth-placed Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Pat Cummins relishes reaching ‘pinnacle of international cricket’ as Australia crowned ICC World Cup for sixth time
- Portugal vs Iceland, Euro 2024 qualifiers: POR v ICE, streaming info, Lineups, Cristiano Ronaldo starts
- IND vs AUS: Let the dust settle first for reflection, says Dravid after India loses ICC World Cup 2023 final
- Winning the World Cup is a better feeling than watching it from the couch: Head
- Never expected this, not in a million years: Travis Head talking about his ton in the ICC World Cup 2023 Final against India