Mario Balotelli was named in the Italy squad for the first time since 2018 on Monday, as the Adana Demirspor striker joined seven uncapped players in Roberto Mancini's 35-man training camp selection.
Balotelli, who worked under Azzurri coach Mancini earlier in his career at Inter Milan and Manchester City, has not featured for the national team since September 2018.
But the 31-year-old earned a recall for this week's three-day training camp after scoring eight goals in 18 league games to fire Adana Demirspor to fourth place in the Turkish Super Lig.
It will be one of Mancini’s final opportunities to get his players together before their FIFA World Cup play-off semifinal against North Macedonia on March 24. The winner of that match will face Portugal or Turkey for a place in Qatar.
Balotelli starred in Italy’s run to the Euro 2012 final, memorably scoring twice and ripping off his shirt in a 2-1 semifinal win over Germany.
He has a record of 14 goals in 36 games for his country, but has earned only three caps since the 2014 World Cup.
Italy’s first-choice striker Ciro Immobile scored twice during its triumphant Euro 2020 campaign last summer.
But the Lazio man’s performances for the Azzurri have not always impressed, leading to a long-running debate over whether Balotelli should be brought back into the fold.
Brazil-born Joao Pedro of Cagliari and Luiz Felipe of Lazio earn their first call-ups.
They will be joined by five uncapped youngsters: Cremonese goalkeeper Marco Carnesecchi, Atalanta defender Giorgio Scalvini and midfielders Davide Frattesi, Samuele Ricci and Nicolo Fagioli of Sassuolo, Empoli and Cremonese respectively.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: Gujarat’s Urvil Patel smashes 41-ball hundred, records second-fastest List A ton by an Indian
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 3: Badoni hits hundred for Delhi vs Karnataka, Tamil Nadu bundles Bengal for 84
- Aditi wins in Spain for her second LET golf title of season
- Shubman Gill named Gujarat Titans captain after Hardik Pandya traded to Mumbai Indians
- Hardik Pandya returns to Mumbai Indians, MI makes formal announcement ahead of IPL auction