Borussia Dortmund star Mario Gotze has suffered a forearm fracture but could still feature in the DFB-Pokal second-round game against Borussia Monchengladbach.
Dortmund revealed the diagnosis following the attacking midfielder's withdrawal in the second half of the Bundesliga draw with bitter rival Schalke on Saturday . Gotze was sent for scans, which confirmed the fracture and an additional wrist injury.
Despite the dual issues, the 27-year-old remains in contention for Wednesday's cup game at Signal Iduna Park. "The club's medical staff have confirmed that Mario Gotze suffered a hairline fracture in his forearm and a ligament strain in his wrist during Saturday's derby," read a Dortmund statement.
"Gotze may nonetheless be able to make an appearance in the DFB-Pokal match against Borussia Monchengladbach tomorrow evening."
Dortmund reached the competition's second round with a 2-0 win over Uerdingen in August but has struggled for form in recent weeks. The Schalke stalemate followed a Champions League loss to Inter and left Lucien Favre's men with two wins from their past eight matches in all competitions.
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023 schedule PDF- U Mumba match fixtures, squad analysis, all you need to know
- Serie A 2023-24: Juventus goes top with late Gatti winner at Monza
- NBA 2023-24: Magic tie team record with ninth straight win
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023 schedule PDF- UP Yoddhas match fixtures, squad analysis, all you need to know
- Frenchman Arthur Fils into Next Gen final