Out of contention for a knockout berth after five drawn games, Minerva Punjab would look to end its maiden AFC Cup campaign on a high when it takes on group topper Abahani Limited of Dhaka here Wednesday.
Though unbeaten so far, Minerva are at the third place in the Group E points table with five points from five matches.
Abahani is top with 10 points, ahead of Chennaiyin FC (8 points), going into the final day of group phase Wednesday.
Only one team will progress to the Inter-Zone Semifinals from Group E.
Wednesday’s match at Indira Gandhi Athletics Stadium is an inconsequential one as far as Minerva is concerned but it will have a huge impact on Abahani, as well as Chennaiyin.
A win for Abahani will straightaway take it to the Inter-Zone Semifinals, irrespective of the result of the match between Chenniyin and bottom-placed Manang Marshyangdi Club of Nepal in Kathmandu.
But, if Minerva wins or holds Abahani to a draw and Chennaiyin beats Manang, then the Indian Super League side will make the Inter-Zone Semifinals. That way, Minerva can do a favour to Chennaiyin, while bowing out without losing a match.
The first-leg match between Minerva and Abahani ended in a thrilling 2-2 draw.
Minerva comes into the match after a 1-1 draw with Chennaiyin here on June 19 while Abahani had thrashed Manang 5-0 at home.
“Even if we win against Abahani, we are not qualifying for the knock-out. In that case, it will be a rare case with a team not progressing from the group stage despite not losing a match,” Minerva owner Ranjit Bajaj said.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: IND 40/0, needs 152 more to take unassailable series lead
- Inter Miami vs LA Galaxy LIVE score, MLS updates: Messi starts, lineups OUT! Preview, streaming info; Kick-off soon
- WPL 2024: UP Warriorz, Delhi Capitals aim for first win of season
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch EBFC v CFC, preview, predicted XI
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Rohit Sharma completes 4000 runs in Tests