Karol Swiderski’s goal before the break secured Poland a 1-0 win over Albania to earn its first Group E points of the Euro 2024 qualifiers on Monday.
Poland, who suffered a 3-1 defeat to the Czech Republic in its opening game on Friday, sealed the victory in the 41st minute through Swiderski who curled a low shot into the net on the rebound after Jakub Kaminski hit the post following a free kick.
Robert Lewandowski, well marked by the Albania defence, had a chance to double the lead in the 63rd when he broke free and fired from close range but his shot was cleared off the line.
The Poland striker had another opportunity in the 84th but his strike flew narrowly over the bar from distance.
Albania winger Myrto Uzuni sent chills down the spine of the home crowd when he came close to levelling two minutes from time, firing a shot just wide of the left post.
“In our minds there is only qualifying, so this victory today was our task to complete and luckily we did it because we took a step forward,” Swiderski told Polish broadcaster TVP Sport.
“In the first half we played some nice football (and) in the second half there were also nice moments. It’s a pity that towards the end it got nervous, but fortunately we won.”
In the other Group E match, Czech Republic drew 0-0 away to Moldova to remain top of the standings by a point from Poland.
- Ind vs WI, 5th T20I: King, Shepherd guide West Indies to T20 series win over India
- Cristian Romero subbed off immediately after scoring in Tottenham vs Brentford
- Brentford vs Tottenham kick-off delayed in the Premier League due to ‘health hazard’
- IND vs WI 5th T20I, HIGHLIGHTS : West Indies beats India by eight wickets, clinches series 3-2
- American golfer Lilia Vu captures second major in 2023 at Women’s British Open