Police investigating the death of Emiliano Sala have confirmed a man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.
Sala and pilot David Ibbotson died when the plane they were travelling in to Wales, after the 28-year-old striker joined Cardiff City from Nantes, crashed in the English Channel on January 21.
Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police's major crime investigation team, said in a statement on Wednesday: "We have carried out a wide-ranging investigation into the circumstances of the death of Mr Sala and continue to work with partner agencies including the Civil Aviation Authority."
"As part of this investigation we have to consider whether there is any evidence of any suspected criminality and as a result of our enquiries we have today, Wednesday 19 June 2019, arrested a 64-year-old man from the North Yorkshire area on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act. He is assisting with our enquiries and has been released from custody under investigation."
"This matter therefore is still subject to a live investigation and I would ask the media and members of the public to refrain from speculation, as this could cause additional distress to the families involved as well as potentially hinder the investigation."
"As is standard practice, we will not be releasing any further information as to the identity of the individual who has been arrested unless that person is charged to appear in court and again would discourage any speculation in relation to this."
Police added in a statement that the families of Sala and Ibbotson have been informed.
- IND vs ENG, 3rd Test: In-transition India looks to keep ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll’ England at bay
- South Korea’s Son hurt finger in brawl before Asian Cup loss: Korean football body
- ICC ODI Rankings: Nabi dethrones Shakib to become No. 1 all-rounder
- FIH Pro League: After two straight wins, India fancies chances against Australia
- England announces playing XI for third Test vs India: Mark Wood replaces Shoaib Bashir