Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti complained about the packed football calendar on Friday and insisted something has to change to protect the players.
Madrid beat Chelsea this week to reach the Champions League semi-finals and it will play the first leg three days after competing against Osasuna in the Copa del Rey final.
“The calendar is a calendar that we have said many times, objectively makes no sense,” Ancelotti told a news conference.
“It’s too packed, there are too many games. La Liga are thinking about themselves, the (Spanish football) federation are thinking about themselves, UEFA are thinking about themselves, FIFA are thinking about themselves, and they don’t consider the players.
“It’s not a good path for football, something has to change, there are too many games.”
Despite the proximity of the cup final, on May 6 and Man City’s visit to the Santiago Bernabeu on May 9, Ancelotti said he would not be forced to rotate his team between the matches.
“I think (I can use the same players), what has to change is the routine we have after games,” added the Italian.
“I am not worried about this.”
Madrid hosts Celta Vigo on Saturday in La Liga, looking to reduce Barcelona’s lead at the top of the table to eight points before they host Atletico Madrid on Sunday.
Ancelotti confirmed striker Karim Benzema was fit to play, despite the French forward taking a knock against Chelsea on Tuesday at Stamford Bridge.
Benzema was substituted and did not seem happy to be removed, but Ancelotti said he had explained to the 35-year-old that sometimes he needed to be rested.
“It makes no sense for him to play if the game’s over and he’s got a small problem, I took him off,” said Ancelotti.
“I spoke to him about it and he understood completely.”
- Fastest fifties in ODI World Cup 2023: Kusal Perera smashes 22-ball half-century in NZ vs SL match
- New Zealand vs Sri Lanka Live Score, World Cup 2023: SL 78/5 (11); Mathews, de Silva on crease after SL loses five in PowerPlay
- Bajrang Punia gets bail in criminal defamation case
- Hockey India announces team for FIH Hockey Women’s Junior World Cup Chile 2023
- NZ vs SL Dream11 Prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka predicted XI, fantasy team, squads