Players from AS Roma and Fiorentina have been barred from leaving the country by local authorities to play in upcoming international matches because of COVID-19 infections at the two clubs, Italian media said on Sunday.
The ANSA news agency said players from Fiorentina would not be allowed to travel after the club announced on Friday that forward Jose Callejon had tested positive for COVID-19.
It said the order had come from the local regional authority in Tuscany which had told the entire Fiorentina squad to self-isolate at their homes for 10 days, except to go to and from training.
The Gazzetta dello Sport said that a similar order had been made by AS Roma's local health authority after forward Edin Dzeko tested positive.
Fiorentina was reported as having 13 players called up for international matches including Erick Pulgar (Chile), Sofyan Amrabat (Morocco) and Serbian pair Nikola Milenkovic and Dusan Vlahovic.
Serbia hosts Scotland in a Euro 2020 playoff on Thursday while Chile faces Peru and Venezuela in World Cup qualifiers over the next 10 days.
Roma players who could be affected include Albanian defender Marash Kumbulla and Armenian midfield Henrikh Mkhitaryan, plus several players called up by Italy. There was no immediate comment from either club.
- West Indies squad for England ODIs: Holder, Pooran out; Uncapped Rutherford, Forde included
- Tamil Nadu’s Mareeswaran hopes to realise Olympic dreams through Senior Nationals Hockey tournament
- Hardik Singh ‘amazed and honoured’ after FIH Player of the Year Award 2023 nomination
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Maharashtra aims to secure spot in knockouts after last season final loss
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues