The decision to leave Leroy Sane out of Germany's World Cup squad was taken because he failed to impress when on international duty, according to Miroslav Klose.
Sane enjoyed a remarkable season with Premier League winner Manchester City, scoring 10 times and setting up another 15.
Such impressive form resulted in him winning the Professional Footballers' Association's (PFA) Young Player of the Year award, while he was also nominated for the Players' Player of the Year.
Yet, his consistent excellence at club level was not enough to convince Germany head coach Joachim Low and his support staff – which includes Klose – to look beyond his failings with the national team.
Although Klose recognises the 22-year-old's prodigious ability, he simply feels Sane did not do enough in training or matches to usurp Julian Brandt.
"I said that we consulted with all coaches. He [Sane] knows that he is incredibly talented and that he brings a pace you don't see very often," Klose told reporters on Thursday.
"He shows that in the Premier League, but, to be honest, he had many situations in training and during the games where he couldn't establish himself, like he did in the Premier League."
"I told you before, it was a hard decision. It was a decision for Julian [Brandt] and not against Leroy. It was really close."
Germany plays its final World Cup preparation game against Saudi Arabia on Friday, before getting its title defence underway in a clash with Mexico on June 17.
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Marsh, Smith keep scoring rate up for Australia post-PowerPlay
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav, Manush Shah qualifies for R-32; Sathiyan, Manika in Mixed Doubles R-32 next
- Shooting HIGHLIGHTS Asian Games 2023: Sift Kaur wins gold with WR, India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold; India 5th with 22 medals
- Asian Games 2023: Anant Jeet Singh wins silver in men’s shotgun skeet event