Maurizio Sarri's preference for using N'Golo Kante in a more advanced role than his usual defensive midfield position at Chelsea is a "good thing" because it aids versatility, according to France coach Didier Deschamps.
After a strong start to the season, Chelsea's form has tailed off badly and it has slipped to sixth in the Premier League, having initially looked well-placed to challenge Manchester City and Liverpool for the title.
The pre-season signing of Jorginho was said to be hugely important to Sarri, the pair having worked together at Napoli, and the coach instantly deployed the Italy international in a deep-lying playmaker role, shifting Kante into a more attack-minded position.
Although the change appeared to work well at first, Jorginho's form in recent weeks has been the subject of criticism and many feel Sarri - who is under increasing pressure - should drop the Italian and put Kante back in his usual post.
Deschamps prefers the former Leicester City midfielder in a defensive position, though he is convinced Kante will be benefiting from playing in a slightly different area.
"It happens with other players too. I saw that his coach [Sarri] prefers to see him in a more offensive position because he has a player, Jorginho, who plays a bit deeper," Deschamps told reporters at the Laureus World Sports Awards in Monaco.
"N'Golo Kante is able to play in several positions. He is a modern player, a modern midfielder. When he is with me with the French team, he has great importance in a deeper position.
"He is very important defensively and in the organisation of the game. Each coach has his formation and a different vision, but I'm not worried about that.
"It's actually a good thing that players are versatile and can play in different positions and formations."
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out handling the ball in second Test against New Zealand
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info
- NBA: LeBron James leads Lakers to In-Season Tournament semifinals with win over Suns
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup