Super Cup: FC Goa reaches final after classy 3-0 win against Chennai City FC

Ferran Corominas’ double strike in the first half effectively killed Chennai City’s hopes of making the final.

Ferran Corominas celebrates with teammates after scoring his second goal in the Super Cup semifinal against Chennai City FC.   -  AIFF Media

Chennai City FC’s star was brought down crashing by FC Goa at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar on Tuesday after a 3-0 defeat in the semifinals of the Super Cup.

The I-League champion had downed Indian Super League sides FC Pune City and Bengaluru FC in the previous rounds, but Goa’s attacking class proved to be a level too much for it on the night. Ferran Corominas’ double strike in the first half effectively killed Chennai City’s hopes of making the final.

The ISL runner-up dominated possession from kick-off forcing Chennai City to sit deep in its own half. Chennai City’s inexperienced Indian back-four, with an average age of just 21, was unable to cope with the pace of Goa’s attackers and their movement off the ball. Young left-back Ajith Kumar was regularly caught at the back by Jackichand’s runs behind him.

As it happened | FC Goa beats Chennai City 3-0 to reach final - Highlights

Hugo Boumous was orchestrating Goa’s attack from midfield and Chennai City struggled to get the ball off him. After a period of sustained pressure, Goa’s first opening came in the 11th minute, when Corominas slipped a ball in for Seriton Fernandes. With only the goalkeeper to beat, the right-back pulled his shot wide.

Chennai City’s top-scorer Pedro Manzi was isolated in attack as Goa’s powerful center backs Mourtada Fall and Carlos Pena allowed him no time or space on the ball. Lenny Rodrigues slotted in between them for cover to deal with the aerial deliveries.  

The opening goal was critical in this game and Chennai City gifted it to the opposition in the 25th minute. Charles Anandraj, who came into the starting XI for the suspended Michael Regin, gave the ball straight to Jackichand while trying to play it from the back. Jacki squared it to Corominas inside the box and in an attempt to redeem himself, Anandraj conceded a penalty by rashly bringing down the Goa attacker.

There were no penalty heroics from Boerchio this time as Corominas chipped the ball into the top right corner to put Goa in front. The goal forced Chennai City to be more adventurous in attack, pushing more men forward but it wasn't able to create any meaningful chances. 

In the 35th minute, Chennai City went behind by two goals, for only the first time in 23 matches this season. The second goal came through the left flank with Corominas releasing Jackichand on the right. Jackichand’s hooked cross was cleared onto the path of Corominas, who moved it past Tarif Akhand before passing it into the right bottom corner with ease.

RELATED | Super Cup 2019: Confident Chennaiyin FC takes on ATK in semis

Nawas’ side ended the half with no shots on target.

After the restart, Chennai City’s attack had much more purpose and it won a flurry of corners but nothing came off it. Nestor and Sandro combined well without much luck. The only time Chennai came close to scoring was when Alexander Romario struck the crossbar from distance after a surging run from the right flank in the 67 minute.

Boumous, then, drove through the middle to release Brandon on goal, again, who took his time before slotting it in between the legs of Boerchio for his second goal of the tournament.

If not for the last-ditch defending from Gaurav Bora at the back, Goa could have added a fourth.  Zaidkrouch created room for himself in the last five minutes of the game and curled a shot on goal, but was denied by the outstretched arm of Boerchio.

When the final whistle was blown, Goa confirmed its berth in the final without putting a foot wrong on the night. 

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :