Liston Colaco scored only once in the ISL this season. But on Monday, within a space of 21 minutes, he scored twice to power the recently-crowned ISL champion ATK Mohun Bagan to a thumping 5-1 victory against Gokulam Kerala FC in the Super Cup football tournament.
The ATKMB team management must be pleased not just with the result but the way one of its main players got back amongst the goals. Colaco’s first goal resulted from a shoddy piece of defending by Abdul Hakku. The pass from Hugo Boumous was put firmly into the roof of the net by Colaco from just inside the box.
His second goal came off a stunning long-ranger, after receiving a splendid long ball, from ATKMB’s own half, by Ashish Rai. Then, at the stroke of half-time, Boumos made it 3-0, as he beat the Gokulam defence and goalkeeper after receiving a through ball from Nassiri.
Nassiri himself struck in the injury time, but before him, Manvir Singh had scored, off an assist from Boumos. Gokulam’s lone goal came from a header by Sergio Mendigutxia. The host was outplayed by a clearly superior side.
Later, Jamshedpur FC defeated defending champion Goa FC 5-3. The winner led 3-1 at half-time.
- Washington Sundar to replace Axar Patel before Asia Cup 2023 final: Report
- Asia Cup 2023: Maheesh Theekshana ruled out of final due to hamstring injury
- Neeraj Chopra, Diamond League Final: Preview, 2023 results, start list, when and where to watch?
- VIDEO: Winning Asia Cup is important for momentum ahead of World Cup, says Shubman Gill
- Travis Head’s ODI World Cup participation in doubt after fracturing left hand