Dele Alli has issued an apology after posting a video in which appeared to make a joke about the coronavirus outbreak while mocking an Asian man.
Tottenham midfielder Alli shared a video on his official Snapchat account on Saturday, which showed him wearing a facemask in an airport departure lounge.
The coronavirus outbreak in China has impacted thousands and has caused hundreds of deaths, with travel restrictions having been implemented in an attempt to mitigate its spread.
England international Alli captioned his video with the message: "Corona whattt [sic], please listen with volume."
Alli then zoomed the camera towards a man of Asian appearance before turning it towards a bottle of antiseptic hand wash and captioning: "This virus gunna have to be quicker than that to catch me."
With the coronavirus having claimed the lives of over 900 people in mainland China, the FA are reported to have written to Alli to ask him to explain his post.
The England midfielder could face a ban or fine and he tried to limit the damage by apologising in a video on the Chinese social media platform Weibo.
"I'd like to apologise for the video I posted on Snapchat [on Saturday], it wasn't funny," Alli said in a video posted on Chinese social media platform Weibo.
"I realised that immediately and took it down. I let myself down and the club. I don't want you guys to have that impression of me.
"It isn't something that should be joked about. Sending all my love and thoughts and prayers for everyone in China."
- IND vs AUS Live Score, 3rd T20I: India eyes series win as Australia’s World Cup stars return home; Head likely to play in Guwahati
- IND vs AUS 3rd T20I Dream11 Prediction: India vs Australia predicted playing XI, line-ups, full squads
- I-League 2023-24: Real Kashmir moves to third on points table with a comfortable 4-0 victory against Inter Kashi
- From the ISL to the Premier League, five talking points from the world of football (Nov 20-26)
- BAN vs NZ, 1st Test: Phillips’ four-wicket haul dents Bangladesh on Day 1