UEFA set to decide on possible Nations League venue switches

The opening two rounds of UEFA Nations League are scheduled for September 3-8 during the international break with all of the European teams in action.

100

Portugal beat Nertherlands won the inaugural edition of the tournament last year.   -  Getty Images

The lingering impact of the COVID-19 pandemic could lead to some UEFA Nations League matches being held at neutral grounds, with any decisions on venue switches likely to come before the Champions League final on August 23, sources have told Reuters.

The opening two rounds of Nations League games are scheduled for September 3-8 during the international break with all of the continent's national teams in action.

UEFA would normally hold meetings around the finals of the Champions League and Europa League and a conference call could take place within the next 10 days.

With the health situation variable across the continent and restrictions changing, UEFA will be keen to avoid any circumstances where games are cancelled at the last minute.

“Close cooperation between all teams and UEFA will be needed to ensure the regular staging of all matches. The possibility of playing international matches at neutral venues cannot be discounted at this stage,” UEFA said last week.

Currently, UEFA is insisting that all games in its competitions be played behind closed doors but there is pressure from some countries where the health situation has improved significantly to allow some supporters into matches.

Kosovo team forfeits Champions League game over virus cases  

Hungary and Poland are among those countries who have allowed fans into stadiums for some games while small numbers have also attended matches in Switzerland and France.

The already complex situation of needing to finish the delayed 2019-20 Champions League and Europa League season, with mini-tournaments in Lisbon and Germany, is compounded by the start of qualification for next season's campaigns.

A reminder of the problems that can still affect fixtures came this week with Kosovar champions KF Drita forced to forfeit their Champions League preliminary round tie with Northern Irish club Linfield after two players tested positive for COVID-19.

Drita were due to play the tie in the Swiss lakeside town of Nyon on Tuesday but local health authorities ordered the entire squad to be quarantined following the tests.

Champions League quarterfinals Preview: Atalanta in action, Barcelona vs Bayern  

UEFA said its Appeal Committee decided that as it could not be played, Drita were deemed to have lost the match 3-0.

Greece, Cyprus, Hungary and Poland have offered to act as neutral venues for UEFA competition matches if COVID-19 related-travel restrictions prevent them being played in the originally-scheduled country.

Youth tournaments postponed and shortened

This year's European under-19 championship, which was due to be played in Northern Ireland in July, will now take place in November and March.   -  AP Photo

 

UEFA has postponed a number of national youth team matches over the next few months and shortened competition formats due to the current COVID-19 situation across Europe, it said on Thursday.

The European soccer body said it took the decision to reduce the logistical and financial burden on national associations caused by hygiene conditions affecting travel and accommodation.

It also wanted to “safeguard the health of athletes and minimise any potential risk of spreading the infection,” it said in a statement.

UEFA added that for this year's European under-19 championship, which was due to be played in Northern Ireland in July, the group stage would now take place in November and the knockout stages the following March.

  Dugout videos