An international hockey stadium with astro-turf will be built inside the Salt Lake Stadium Complex here, West Bengal Sports Minister Aroop Biswas announced on Friday.
The stadium, to be built over an area of approximately three acres at an estimated cost of ₹20.53 crore, will have grass hills and can accommodate 6500 spectators. It will have two players’ dressing rooms.
The colour combination of the astro-turf will be blue and yellow. The field of play will be 110m x 75m.
“Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Hockey Bengal (HB) and Olympian Gurbux Singh always wanted an astro-turf hockey stadium here. This is a gift from the Chief Minister to Gurbux Singh and HB in the new year,” said Biswas.
Gurbux said, “Happy to know that an astro-turf stadium is coming up here. Hope Bengal hockey will benefit from this.”
The hockey infrastructure will be situated on the northern side of the Salt Lake Stadium near Gate No. 1.
- India vs Australia LIVE Score Updates, 4th T20I: Rinku, Jitesh put on 50-run stand; IND 161/4 (17); Streaming info
- National Boxing Championship 2023: Punjab’s Jaipal Singh stuns Sagar Ahlawat to claim +92kg crown
- Premier League: Postecoglou’s bravery makes football better, says Guardiola
- IND A vs ENG A Women: Issy Wong’s heroics help England level series 1-1
- Indian sports news wrap, December 1