Hockey India has recommended former India captain and experienced goalkeeper P. R. Sreejesh for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award for 2019.
Having made his national team debut in 2006, the 30-year-old has over 200 caps for the team and was awarded the Arjuna in 2015. In 2017, he was conferred with the Padma Shri as well. If he wins it, Sreejesh will become only the third sportsperson from Kerala to receive the prestigious award.
Read | Rupinder returns in Indian hockey team for Australia tour
He will also be the third hockey player to clinch the award.
Chinglensana, Akashdeep recommended for Arjuna award
Chinglensana Singh Kangujam and Akashdeep Singh have been recommended for the Arjuna Award, as has been veteran defender and one of the key players of the women's team, Deepika Thakur. While Chinglensana has been part of the Indian team since 2011, the 24-year old Akashdeep has led the Indian attack since 2012. Deepika, meanwhile, has been a vital cog in the women's team defence for more than a decade and was named Hockey India's Player of the Year in 2016.
The federation has also recommended R. P. Singh and Sandeep Kaur for the Major Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement and coaches Baljeet Singh, B. S. Chauhan and Romesh Pathania for the Dronacharya award.
Latest on Sportstar
- Singapore Open 2023: Sindhu, Prannoy, Nehwal exit in first round; Srikanth, Arjun-Dhruv duo enter second round
- Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur appoints Postecoglou as new manager
- Who is Ange Postecoglou, Tottenham’s new manager
- WTC Final 2023: Boland to play against India, confirms captain Cummins
- WTC Final 2023, India: Road to final, best performers, most runs and wickets