Gujarat Fortunegiants couldn't have asked for a better end to its home stretch in the sixth season of Pro Kabaddi than a convincing win versus Haryana Steelers at The Arena by TransStadia on Thursday nights. The 40-31 victory not only ended its winless run against the Steelers but more importantly, catapulted the Fortunegiants to the top of the Zone A.
Raider Mahendra Rajput gave the Fortunegiants an ideal start, touching three Steelers defenders before returning to his half, in the first piece of action of the night. While Rajput couldn't really maintain the same momentum – adding just two more points before being stretchered off the field halfway through the second half after hurting himself in a failed raid – the Fortunegiants ensured the home fans had a reason to smile in the last match on the banks of Sabarmati.
Raider Sachin Tanwar continued his sensational form with able support from K. Prapanjan. Once the defence led by the dependable Parvesh Bhainswal continued to be rock-solid, Monu Goyat's Steelers was never reeally in the game. It reflected in the fact that th Steelers was all-out twice in the match, never once did it happen that the Fortunegiants was left with no man on the court.
After an action-packed week in Ahmedabad, the PKL juggernaut moves to Pune from Friday.
- IND-W vs ENG-W, 1st T20I Preview: India Women hit reset button under new coach Muzumdar as World Cup beckons
- Sports bodies ask IOC to allow Russians as neutral athletes for 2024 Paris Olympics
- Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen to undergo surgery for lower back issue
- Javier Tebas to remain La Liga president until 2027
- Karun Nair hopes for national comeback after career reset with Vidarbha