Marco Bezzecchi smashed the Assen lap record on Saturday to claim pole position for the Dutch Grand Prix ahead of championship leader Francesco Bagnaia of Ducati and VR46 Racing teammate Luca Marini.
Pole position was just reward for Italian Bezzecchi who has been fastest all weekend in practice sessions as he looks to move back into second place in the championship standings after Pramac Racing’s Jorge Martin leapfrogged him in Germany.
With a time of 1:31.472, Bezzecchi also became the 13th different polesitter at Assen in 13 visits to the Cathedral of Speed as Ducati bikes continued their dominance this season with a front row lockout.
Japanese manufacturer Yamaha has struggled this season but Fabio Quartararo finished a creditable fourth and will be joined on the second row by Red Bull KTM’s Brad Binder and Aprilia’s Aleix Espargaro.
Honda’s troubles followed it to Assen as Marc Marquez collided with the back of Ducati’s Enea Bastianini in Q1, bringing out the yellow flags.
Marquez, who has yet to finish a race this season, will start 17th on the grid as a result.
- 2023 Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 54/4 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- Pakistan players told to put country before franchise leagues under new team director Hafeez