Born in Agartala, capital of Indian state Tripura, Dipa Karmakar was six-years-old when she started practicing gymnastics.
Earlier this week, Dipa Karmakar became the first Indian female gymnast to qualify for the Olympics and also the first to win a gold medal in an Olympic Test event.
Dipa, with her coach Bisweswar Nandi, on arrival at the Agartala airport. According to Nandi, Dipa suffered from a postural deformity called flat feet when she first came to train under him.
In 2015, Dipa registered the highest score on a 'Produnova' in the world with a tally of 15.100. Only two other have competed in the technique — Yamilet Pena of Dominican Republic and Fadva Mahmoud of Egypt.
- WPL 2024: Asha’s five-wicket haul helps RCB defeat UP Warriorz in a thriller
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2