It was a good day for India as Dipika Pallikal in the women's section and, Harinder Pal Sandhu and Kush Kumar in the men's section moved into their respective semifinals of the Victoria Open squash tournament, a PSA tour event being held here.
Top-seeded Dipika survived a first game scare before getting past the eighth seed Megan Craig (New Zealand) 7-11, 11-6,11-4, 11-8 in the quarterfinal. She takes on Egypt's Nouran El Torky next.
In the men's section, third seed Harinder came back from a game to beat the seventh seed Evan Williams (New Zealand) 9-11, 11-2, 11-2, 11-7 but eighth seed Kush Kumar dug into his reserves to turn a two-game deficit intto a five-game winner over fourth seeded Reiko Peter of Switzerland.
The Indian, who stayed exactly an hour on the court won 10-12, 5-11, 11-3,11-4, 11-6. Both have tough matches in the last four with Harinder facing top seed Joe Lee of England and Kush preparing to meet second seed Rex Hedrick of Australia.
- Ranji Trophy Plate Final: Biswa century not enough as Hyderabad nears title
- Mathews gives Sri Lanka unassailable 2-0 lead over Afghanistan in T20 series
- Traore, Diatta banned following Africa Cup of Nations outbursts
- Maha Open Challenger: Poonacha, Mukund advance to second round
- Oliver Glasner named as new Crystal Palace boss: club