Indian paddler Jeet Chandra stunned world no. 2 Manav Thakkar in straight sets to clinch the U-21 men’s singles title at the Oman Open here on Saturday.
The world no. 18 Chandra outclassed compatriot Thakkar 11-6, 11-7, 13-11 in the all Indian final that lasted just 24 minutes.
After losing the first two sets without much fight, Thakkar tried to make a comeback. However, a determined Chandra wrapped up the final set and match to clinch the gold. The U-21 men’s singles competition saw the dominance of Indian paddlers as Thakkar, Chandra, Manush Shah and Suravajjula Snehit made their way into the semifinals.
Earlier, seasoned campaigner Achanta Sharath Kamal recovered well from an early setback to register a 5-11, 11-5, 11-3, 11-5, 11-7 win over Belarusian Aliaksandr Khanin in the senior men’s singles pre-quarterfinals.
Another Indian paddler Harmeet Desai also made his way into the quarters with a hard-fought 7-11, 11-13, 11-9, 11-6, 8-11, 11-5, 11-8 win against Egypt’s Omar Assar in a thrilling encounter which lasted for one hour and four minutes.
Meanwhile, three Indian pairs also secured entry in the doubles semifinals. While the duo of Sharath and Desai thrashed Oman’s Muhannad Al Balushi and Asad Alraisi 11-4, 11-3, 11-7, Manush partnered with Thakkar to outshine Aliaxandr Khanin and Pavel Platonov of Belarus 12-10, 8-11, 11-8, 11-9.
Diya Chitale and Archana Kamath also secured semifinals berth in the women’s doubles category.
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr LIVE Score, HIL 1-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Sergej Milinkovic-Savic gives Hilal the lead
- Aston Villa makes official complaint to UEFA after Legia Warsaw violence
- India Women’s squads for Tests, England T20Is announced: Saika Ishaque, Shubha Satheesh get maiden call-ups
- SA vs IND: Sai Sudharsan ‘lost for words’ after maiden India call-up for South Africa ODIs
- F1’s Williams Racing re-signs Logan Sargeant for 2024