Top paddlers like Anthony Amalraj, Harmeet Desai, Sudhanshu Grover, Manav Thakkar, Sanil Shetty, Suthirta Mukherjee, Archana Kamath and Madhurika Patkar will be seen in action in the UTT National ranking table tennis championships (East Zone) starting at the refurbished Dumurjlala Stadium, Howrah, from Friday.
More than 1087 players in five age groups will compete for eight days in the event offering a total prize money of Rs. 7,46,600. The championships will start with the cadet and sub-junior events, followed by elite men and women events, starting from October 22.
The men’s champion will get Rs. 77,000, while the women’s champion will be richer by Rs. 66,000. The championships will also have men and women’s team events for eastern and north-eastern states.
“We have done enormous work to get the stadium ready for the tournament with the help of the State Government. Chief Minister Mamata Bannerjee and Sports Minister Aroop Biswas have helped us a lot. Around 25 years ago table tennis used to be held regularly here. It was closed for the last ten years. I hope the culture of table tennis will be back again in Howrah after this tournament,” said organizing secretary Sharmi Sengupta.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 6: HAR 78/3 in 144-run chase vs KAR; Punjab records big win; MP 30/4 vs Tamil Nadu
- WI vs ENG Live Streaming Info, 1st ODI: When and where to watch England tour of West Indies 2023-24?
- NBA roundup: Clippers stuns Warriors after trailing by 22
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023: Punjab thrashes Nagaland to record biggest win in Indian List A cricket
- Girona not title race level, should enjoy ‘historic’ La Liga form, says coach Michel