The Indian mixed doubles pair of G. Sathiyan and Manika Batra, seeded fourth, entered the second round of the World table tennis championships in Durban on Saturday, with a hard-fought 9-11, 11-8, 14-16, 11-7, 11-6 victory over the Luxembourg duo of Luka Mladenovic and Xia Lian Ni.
The women’s doubles pair of Manika Batra and Archana Kamath, too, reached the second round, defeating Emily Quan & Yishiua Lin of USA 10-12, 11-2, 11-9, 11-5.
Sreeja Akula produced a near-flawless performance to beat a higher-ranked paddler Nicole Arlia of Italy 11-6, 11-9, 9-11, 11-4, 11-5 in the women’s singles first round. However, Manush Shah and Sutirtha Mukherjee lost in the singles.
India’s top singles stars, G. Sathiyan, Sharath Kamal and Manika Batra will play their matches on Sunday.
The results (first round):
Latest on Sportstar
- Jabeur overcomes slow start to reach French Open fourth round
- Cerundolo downs Fritz to reach second week of slam for first time
- Nuggets coach says ‘We haven’t done a damn thing’ in NBA Finals
- Haddad Maia becomes first Brazilian woman to reach French Open last 16 in 44 years
- Fan arrested for ‘97’ slogan on shirt