Taylor Fritz earned a measure of revenge over doubles partner Thanasi Kokkinakis with a first-round win at the Los Cabos Open on Monday.
A year ago, the American was defeated by Kokkinakis in the last eight, with the Australian going on to lose the final against Sam Querrey.
It was a different outcome on this occasion, though, with the seventh seed triumphing 7-6 (8-6) 7-6 (7-5).
“I played well. It was a lot like last year’s match. It could have really gone either way, just a couple points here and there. I’m really happy to get through,” said Fritz, who will partner Kokkinakis in the doubles this week.
“It’s so funny because before the tournament started I knew I was going to play him. Before the draw even came out, I said to my coach, ‘I bet I’m going to play Thanasi’. It happens sometimes.”
- Asia Cup 2023: Who will play India if PAK vs SL match is washed out?
- Shubman Gill attains career-best second position in latest ICC Rankings
- 13 Odisha athletes bound for Asian Games to get Rs 10 lakh each from state government
- Asia Cup 2023: Wellalage ‘very happy to get big wickets of Kohli, Rohit’
- VIDEO: Djokovic celebrates U.S Open triumph with Serbian basketball team