Dusan Lajovic upset the in-form Andrey Rublev in the Banja Luka final on Sunday, winning 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 to clinch his second career ATP title.
World number 70 Lajovic, who knocked out Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinals, snapped Rublev’s eight-match winning run that began with his triumph last week in Monte Carlo.
Lajovic led 5-1 in the deciding set but had to hold off a spirited comeback from Rublev before securing victory after two hours and 32 minutes.
“Honestly it was probably the toughest match I have had in the past six months. I felt drained,” the 32-year-old Lajovic said.
“From 5-1 in the third I could not feel my legs and felt a bit dizzy.
“I knew he was going to fight but somehow I managed to pull it out in the last game. I wasn’t even thinking in the last game.”
Lajovic’s only other title also came on clay at Umag in 2019.
- IND vs SL LIVE Score, Asia Cup final 2023: Toss, India vs Sri Lanka Playing XI updates soon; Colombo weather, streaming info
- Lance Stroll to miss Singapore GP after qualifying crash
- Indian sports news wrap, September 17
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Colombo weather updates, Asia Cup final: Will rain affect match today?
- SA vs AUS, 5th ODI Scorecard, commentary and streaming updates