Feliciano Lopez’s 26-year playing career came to an when the 41-year-old lost 6-2, 6-4 to Yannick Hanfmann in the quarterfinals of the Mallorca Open on Thursday.
The Spanish left-hander had delighted the home crowd with victories over Australians Max Purcell and Jordan Thompson but fell short against Germany’s Hanfmann.
Lopez, who reached a career high ranking of 12 and holds the record for appearing in 79 successive Grand Slam main draws, was cheered on by 22-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal during his final event as a professional.
The three-time Wimbledon quarterfinalist will now focus on his new role as tournament director of the Davis Cup -- a competition he won four times.
Hanfmann, who also beat top seed Stefanos Tsitsipas at the Mallorca grasscourt event, will face Adrian Mannarino or Corentin Moutet in the semifinals.
- WPL 2024: Gujarat Giants stumble to five-wicket loss against Mumbai Indians in low-scoring encounter
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final Highlights: Van Dijk’s extra-time header makes Liverpool EFL League Cup champion
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr LIVE updates, SHB 1-1 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Carrasco, Ronaldo penalties keep match level at half-time
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores 750th goal in club football, widens lead over Lionel Messi
- Gujarat Giants vs Mumbai Indians Highlights, WPL 2024: Harmanpreet Kaur seals five-wicket win with a six