Coco Gauff reached the French Open quarterfinals for a third successive year on Monday with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Anna Karolina Schmiedlova to set up a possible clash with World No.1 Iga Swiatek.
Gauff, the U.S. sixth seed, was defeated by Swiatek in the 2022 final at Roland Garros. On Monday, she endured a rollercoaster of a first set against her Slovakian opponent who was in the second week of a Grand Slam for the first time.
The 19-year-old American let slip a 5-2 lead to be pinned back to 5-5 before steadying herself. She then handed back an early break in the second set before stretching out to another convincing 5-2 lead and serving out the win.
Swiatek, bidding to be the first back-to-back champion in Paris since Justine Henin in 2007, faces Lesia Tsurenko of Ukraine later on Monday.
- Roberto Mancini appointed Saudi Arabia coach 2 weeks after quitting job in charge of Italy
- Klopp praises fired-up Nunez after Liverpool comeback victory
- 10-man Liverpool turnaround against Newcastle ‘for the ages’, says Alexander Arnold
- Premier League: Super-sub Nunez grabs 2-1 win for 10-man Liverpool against Newcastle
- World Athletics Championships 2023: Moraa beats favourites Hodgkinson, Mu for 800m gold