World No. 9 Iga Swiatek has pulled out of next week’s Sydney Tennis Classic due to a rib injury, the women’s tour said on Sunday.
Poland’s Swiatek, who won the French Open title in 2020, went down to top-ranked Ash Barty 6-2, 6-4 in the semifinal of the Adelaide International on Saturday.
ALSO READ - Bopanna, Ramkumar pair wins title in Adelaide
The 20-year-old was scheduled to play US Open champion Emma Raducanu in the opening round of the WTA 500 event in Sydney which has a packed field of top names and will be led by Australian Barty.
The Australian Open, the year’s opening Grand Slam will start in Melbourne on January 17.
"After intense pre season and last week's tournament in Adelaide I feel like my body needs more time to recover before Australian Open," Swiatek said in a statement on Twitter .
"I've been feeling some pain in my lower rib area which is why unfortunately I've decided to withdraw from the tournament in Sydney."
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 3: IND 199/6 (48 overs); Rahane gets to his fifty, India still looking to avoid follow-on
- EFL bans use of towels to dry balls before throw-ins
- Pep Guardiola, the sought-after philosopher coach, chases holy grail of Champions League for Manchester City
- Sri Lanka drops Mathews from World Cup qualifiers; Pathirana named in 15-member squad
- FIFA Women’s World Ranking: No change at the top, Bhutan on the up