This year’s French Open finalist and world number eight Karolina Muchova said on Tuesday she would skip the WTA Finals in Cancun starting on Sunday because of a wrist injury.
“I am heartbroken to announce that I will miss my first WTA Finals in Cancun,” the 27-year-old Czech said on Instagram.
Muchova injured her right wrist at the US Open in September, where she reached the semifinals.
“Together with the team and doctors we tried everything till the last moments to resolve my wrist injury,” she said.
“Unfortunately, the time needed for the recovery is longer than we would’ve hoped for and therefore I had to make this unpleasant decision.”
Muchova will also miss the Billie Jean King Cup finals in November.
- Mexican Open: Second-seeded Holger Rune eases past American Michael Mmoh
- Argentina to play exhibition against Costa Rica instead of Nigeria in Los Angeles on March 26
- A low-ranked American tennis player banned after testing positive for marijuana at a tournament
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag doesn’t want Ratcliffe vote of confidence
- Bundesliga boss says rejection of investor deal ‘bad for the league’