Novak Djokovic tightened his grip on the ATP tennis rankings Monday following his win in the Madrid Open .
The Serbian world number one widened his lead over Spaniard Rafael Nadal, who was dumped out of the Madrid tournament by young gun Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece in the semi-finals.
Tsitsipas lost the final to Djokovic but eased two places up the rankings to seventh on the strength of his recent show of form.
Dominic Thiem of Austria, winner of the Barcelona Open, moved into fourth place after his elimination from the Madrid semi-finals. He is one sport behind Roger Federer, his quarter-final victim in Madrid.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 6: Karnataka rebuilds vs Haryana; Sudharsan steers TN vs MP
- Tim Howard elected to U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame
- Medjedovic upsets Fils to win Next Gen Finals championship match
- Brazilian forward Vitor Roque set to join Barcelona in January
- AUS vs PAK, 1st Test: Warner named in Australia squad against Pakistan; hopes for SCG farewell