Former world number one Maria Sharapova announced the birth of her first child Theodore on Friday, sharing a picture of the newborn along with her fiance.
“The most beautiful, challenging, and rewarding gift our little family could ask for,” Sharapova, who is engaged to British businessman Alexander Gilkes, said in a post on Instagram.
The Russian five-time Grand Slam champion retired from tennis in 2020.
Although she competed under the Russian flag during her career - and is the only Russian woman to have won a career Grand Slam - Sharapova has lived in the United States since she came to the country as a young tennis prodigy.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open: Jabeur eases past Pera to move into quarterfinals
- IND vs AUS: Rohit Sharma in England - Bittersweet tale eyeing another chapter in WTC Final
- Australia favourites on paper but Indian players have edge in terms of match fitness: Shastri ahead of WTC final
- Green’s presence has changed around Australia dugout after recent success in India, say teammates
- India must go with two spinners for WTC 2023 final: Monty Panesar