Last year’s Billie Jean King Cup runner-up Australia suffered an awful start to the Finals as it lost to Slovenia in its opening Group B match in Seville on Tuesday.
Kaja Juvan got outsider Slovenia off to a flyer with a 6-4, 6-1 defeat of a rusty Ajla Tomljanovic.
Former French Open semifinalist Tamara Zidansek then overcame Daria Saville 6-1, 6-4 to give Slovenia an unassailable lead, although a doubles rubber was still to be played.
A strong-looking Kazakhstan team is the other country in Group B.
The 12 qualifying nations are split into four sections of three with the group winners progressing to the semifinals.
Later on Tuesday, reigning champion Switzerland takes on the Czech Republic.
- Al Nassr vs Al Hazem Highlights Saudi Pro League: NAS 4-4 HAZ; Talisca scores hattrick, Ricardo scores stoppage time equalizer
- WPL 2024: Smriti’s heroics in vain as Kapp, Jonassen help Delhi beat Bangalore by 25 runs
- German Open: Jolly-Gayatri advance to quarterfinals
- RCB-W vs DC-W Highlights WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals beats Royal Challengers by 25 runs
- Indian sports wrap, February 29