Former Australian Open mixed doubles champion Abigail Spears of the United States was banned for 22 months after failing a drugs test, the International Tennis Federation announced.
Spears, 38, tested positive for banned substances prasterone and testosterone at the 2019 US Open in New York.
“The ITF accepted Ms. Spears’ explanation as to how the prasterone and testosterone entered her system and that her use was unconnected to sports performance...although her fault was deemed to be high,” said an ITF statement.
Her ban was backdated to November 7, 2019 and will end on September 6, 2021.
Spears has won 21 doubles titles in her career with the highlight her Australian Open mixed doubles title alongside Juan Sebastian Cabal of Colombia in 2017.
- Qatar Open: Czech teenager Mensik stuns top seed Rublev to reach maiden ATP semifinal
- PVL 2024: Ahmedabad Defenders and Chennai Blitz continue winning form with consecutive victories
- Dubai Championships 2024: Swiatek takes out Zheng, Cirstea saves six match points in quarterfinal win over Vondrousova
- Keep it simple and don’t try to overdo things: Harmanpreet’s mantra ahead of WPL opener against Capitals
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test LIVE Streaming Info: When and where to watch the fourth Test between India and England